Around 40% of New Zealanders support New Zealand becoming a republic. This topic is for the development of a Bill that will provide for a process that will:
- Provide for a simple "yes" "no" non-binding referendum on establishing an inquiry into the republic issue. If the proposition receives a majority of "yes" votes, then;
- An Official Inquiry into republicanism will be established
- The recommendations of the Inquiry will then be put to a final, binding referendum.
Questions for the Inquiry to consider:
- If New Zealand becomes a republic, what are the constitutional implications for the Treaty of Waitangi?
- If New Zealand becomes a republic, what model should it follow?
The inquiry will make recommendations on each of these issues, and draft the necessary legislation to give effect to them.